St Stanislaus Kostka is home to the largest Polish Catholic congregation in Brooklyn. Each weekend nine Masses are celebrated, five in Polish and four in English, the most of the six Catholic churches in Greenpoint. This parish also has an elementary school with about 300 students and another 300 attending sunday school classes.
St Stanislaus Kostka Church was first established in 1896 but the magnificent building standing on the corner of Driggs and Humboldt wasn't completed until 1904. Constructed of pressed brick, it is 134 feet deep, 70 feet wide at its transept, and its towers are 138 and 152 feet in height. The church can seat 1,000 people with an additional 250 in the gallery. In the Mid-1970's, when he was the Cardinal for Krakow, Pope John Paul II stayed here on vacation. The church also received a visit from the former Polish president Lech Walesa.