This site is located in a commercial/residential area of Staten Island. The site Topography slopes east. The nearest water body is adjacent to the site (Lower New York Bay). Fort Wadsworth was first occupied by the US Army in 1794. The first structures (artillery batteries) were built over 24 acres of the site in order to defend New York City during the War of 1812, including Fort Richmond (now called Battery Weed). On October 1, 1987, Fort Wadsworth was transferred to the US Navy. Since the building functions and generated waste disposal activities were not well documented by the Army, the Navy decided to investigate the base to determine hazardous waste contents and impacts to the environment. A 1990 study identified four potential areas of concern: Moat Transformer Area, Incinerator Ash Disposal Area, Pesticide Shop Area, and Battery Weed Courtyard Area. A Site Inspection (SI) completed in 1992 identified the contaminants of concern as lead, PCBs, pesticides and semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs). However, an extended SI completed in the fall of 1994 indicated that the only area containing hazardous waste was the Battery Weed Courtyard Area. On-site soils contained hazardous levels of PCBs (above 50 ppm). In the Fall of 1995, a removal action was undertaken at the site which brought levels of PCBs in the soil below cleanup objectives. Fort Wadsworth, which was decommissioned on August 31, 1994, is currently occupied by the National Park Service. Site Environmental Assessment
Past unknown site operations had caused on-site soils to become contaminated with PCBs. This contamination did not exist outside of the courtyard area. It is unknown whether this contamination had impacted groundwater or the adjacent surface water body. However, in light of the removal action, and the location of the groundwater, it seems highly unlikely. No additional remedial action is planned. The site is no longer considered a significant environmental threat. Site Health Assessment
The potential for exposure to PCB-contaminated soils in the courtyard has been eliminated with the removal of these soils as part of a base-wide cleanup conducted in the Fall of 1995. The base is currently occupied by the National Park Service and is open to the public. The site is served by public water, therefore, no exposure to on-site groundwater is expected.
Contaminants of Concern
|Type of Waste
|PCBS (B007 WASTE)