The site is located on the lower east side of Manhattan, and occupies the blocks between Avenue D and the East River from East 11th street to East 13th street and part of the block bounded by Avenue C, Avenue D, 12th Street and 13th Street. The site is presently occupied by Jacob Riis Houses (NYCHA), a NYCDEP pump station, St. Emeric's RC Church, and a portion of Haven Plaza. This site is the location of a former manufactured gas plant. The MGP opened between 1859 and 1868 and was operated unitl circa 1933. With the discovery of significant tar contamination during the SC, this site went directly into the RI phase. The site has been split up in operable units: OU1 - the site itself and OU2 - Off site sediments. The Department is awaiting an FS for OU1. RI fieldwork for OU2 (a sediment investigation in the East River) will commence in early Spring 2009.
Site Environmental Assessment
A site characterization was conducted in 2004 at the various properties comprising the site. The preliminary results indicate that MGP wastes are present at the site and additional investigation, followed by remediation, will be necessary.
Site Health Assessment
Public water is provided to the area, thereby preventing exposures to groundwater. Site-related contamination has been found, but it is not available for direct contact. Current data indicate that vapors are not migrating into on-site buildings. Additional data will be assessed as it becomes available.