This site is the location of a former manufactured gas plant. The MGP began operating sometime before 1878 and ceased operations sometime between 1911 and 1939. The plant was located on the blocks between Second Avenue and the East River, from 97th to 99th streets. A site characterization was initiated in early 2005. Coal tar has been identified in the subsurface both onsite and offsite. Currently, the site is in RI. The third phase of fieldwork will be ongoing during most of Winter 2009.
Site Environmental Assessment
A Site Characterization was initiated in early 2005.
Site Health Assessment
Exposure to contaminated soil is not expected because a building and pavement cover the site. Groundwater is not used as a source for drinking water, therefore, exposures are unlikely. Further investigation is needed on-site to evaluate the potential for exposure associated with soil vapor intrusion.