This site is a former manufactered gas holder. It was located along East 32nd Street, east of First Avenue. Historical records are scarce, indicating that the gas holder operated sometime before 1890 until sometime between 1910 and 1929. The site is now occupied by NYU Medical Center. A site characterization is scheduled for 2009.
Site Environmental Assessment
During construction of a new building at the hospital, staff and Con Edison were informed of soil contamination in the excavation. Staff investigated and no significant amount of coal tar or MGP-related wastes were discovered. The contaminated soil may have been a relic of urban fill at the site. A more thorough site characterization is scheudled for 2009.
Site Health Assessment
NYSDOH has insufficient information to fully evaluate the potential for human exposure.