The Hunts Point Food Distribution Center (HPFDC) lies on the Hunts Point peninsula in the South Bronx and is comprised of several separate parcels listed as A through F. It was the former location of the Con Ed Hunts Point Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP), also known as the Hunts Point Coking Station. The initial coke oven plant at the facility was constructed in 1924 through 1926 and had a capacity of 20 million cubic feet of gas per day. The gas produced was used as a primary source of energy for lighting and heating. Another battery of coke ovens was installed in 1931, increasing gas production capacity by 10 million cubic feet per day. A carburetted water gas plant was added in 1932, adding 30 million cubic feet per day to the capacity. The MGP included 46 buildings or structures and was devoted entirely to the manufacture of gas and its associated by-products, including coal tars, cyanide-contaminated purifier waste, sludges and oils. This manufacturing process has led to site contamination. The structures included two gas holders. The MGP operated into the 1950s. Much of the property was subsequently redeveloped into the HPFDC, a wholesale food complex. Site Environmental Assessment
The primary contaminants of concern at the site known at this time include volatile organic compounds, semi-volatile organic compounds including polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)and metals. The completed investigation indicates the presence of groundwater and soil contamination. Exceedances of standards, criteria and guidance include benzene, naphthalene, arsenic, chromium, lead, manganese and selenium in groundwater, and benzene, PAHs, and cyanide in soil.