The site is located on Purdy Street in the Bronx. It is currently occupied by St. Raymond's High School. A manufactured gas plant operated on the site starting sometime between 1870 and 1895. The plant was closed sometime around 1908 but the facility continued operations as a gas holder station. Gas holder operations ceased sometime between 1919 and 1929. A Site Characterization was completed in 2004. A remedial investigation was completed and the property owner is discussing potential remedies with Con Edison. After meeting with the property owner, Con Edison is drafting a Remedial Action Work PlanSite Environmental Assessment
The Site Characterization and Remedial Investigation have found that the site is contaminated with MGP residuals, primarily waste tars. These are comprised of BTEX and PAHs. The soils and groundwater contain BTEX and PAHs in exceedance of standards, criteria, and guidance.
Site Health Assessment
Manufactured Gas Plant waste has been identified in surface, subsurface and groundwater at the site. Currently, a middle school occupies the site. Potential exposure to contamination through direct contact is not possible because the site is paved, covered by buildings, and other areas are covered and landscaped by a layer of clean soil with a minimum thickness of two (2) feet. Exposure to site-related contaminants in groundwater is not likely since homes and businesses near the site are connected to public water. Based on sub-slab vapor and indoor air samples collected from on-site buildings there does not appear to be a soil vapor intrusion concern. NYSDOH and NYSDEC are conducting further investigations to determine the potential for soil vapor intrusion into additional structures on and near the site.