Bounded by 5th Street on the east, 48th Avenue on the south, Center Boulevard on the west, and 47th

Long Island City

brownfield VOCs CVOCs "vapor intrusion" SSDS

image
Site Description[1]
The site is located in an urban area in Queens along the East River and bounded by OU3 to the north, 5th Street to the east, 47th Road to the south and OU1 to the west. OU2 (Site B) covers approximately 6 acres in tax blocks 20 and 21, separated by 47th Avenue. Originally, the entire Site was part of the Hunter family farm in the early 1800s. The Devoe Manufacturing Company developed a petroleum processing facility in the 1860s, and utilized OU3 to process crude oil into kerosene for lamps. In 1873, Standard Oil Company of New York (SOCONY) acquired Devoe and the property, and continued similar operations until the early 1900s when SOCONY modified its petroleum distilling operations to produce gasoline and other oil products.  SOCONY had steam stills for petroleum refining and a container factory on OU2. By 1936, the SOCONY operations had ceased on OU3. SOCONY sold the Site to PepsiCo in 1936. By 1947, PepsiCo occupied buildings on the Site. In the late 1880s, the N.Y. Mastics Company Works occupied the south end of OU2 (i.e., south of existing 47th Avenue). By 1915, the National Varnish Company replaced the Mastics Company. The varnish company contained several buildings labeled gum storage, oil storage, oil tank storage, oil tank shed, coke shed, alcohol storage, and benzene and turpentine tanks. SOCONY operations included a gasholder, iron tank, condenser tanks and aboveground oil tanks. The remainder of OU2 was occupied by a manufacturer of machine products, Buchmann Sparkwheel Corporation, and a manufacturer of industrial sanitary and maintenance chemical products. Surrounding land use consists primarily of a mixture of light industrial warehouses, commercial buildings, parks, schools and residential properties. There are high-rise residential buildings south of the Site and various warehouses and private homes to the east and to the north. Several investigations conducted on the property from 1985 through 2004. Remedial Investigation indicated OU2-wide soil contamination caused by historic fill, petroleum related impacts from historic subterranean oil refinery systems, underground tanks and localized areas of elevated metals and tetrachloroethylene in soil. The remedy, primarily completed (2006), included excavation and off-site disposal of contaminated soil, removal of tanks and historic piping systems and in-situ soil oxidation. Groundwater remediation included removal of floating, free phase petroleum products. Remediation of OU2 has resulted in the excavation and off-site disposal of over 55,000 tons of material, removal of residual product, decommissioning and removal of historic subterranean refinery systems, removal of underground storage tanks, and tetrachloroethylene-contaminated surface soil. Engineering and Institutional Controls involving deed restrictions are in place. Redevelopment of OU2 included new residential high rise buildings with commercial space on the ground floor, roads, utilities, parks and landscaped areas. A vapor barriers and an active sub-slab depressurization system has been installed to minimize the potential for soil vapor to enter the newly constructed buildings. Road and utility corridors have been backfilled with at least two feet of clean fill and/or paving. Parks and landscaped areas are constructed with an upper layer of at least two feet of clean fill.

Site Environmental Assessment
Site contamination caused by historic filling, historic oil refinery systems, historic paint and varnish operations and underground storage tanks resulted in petroleum-related impacts, impacts of hazardous and non-hazardous metals and a localized area of elevated levels of tetrachloroethylene in Site soil. SVOC and VOC impacted material located in 47th Road area, likely resulted in these contaminants in groundwater. The paint factories were located on the southern part of the site. Metal contamination in soils is present in the south-eastern portion of the site (OU-2). 1880s, the N.Y. Mastics Company Works and Enamel Sign Company occupied the south end of OU2. The Standard Oil Company of New York (SOCONY) occupied the remainder of OU2. SOCONY had steam stills for petroleum refining and a container factory on OU2. By 1915, the National Varnish Company had replaced the Enamel Sign Company. The varnish company contained several buildings labeled gum storage, oil storage, oil tank storage, oil tank shed, coke shed, alcohol storage, and benzene and turpentine tanks. By 1947, PepsiCo occupied buildings in OU2 to the north of 47th Avenue. The remainder of OU2 was occupied by a manufacturer of machine products, Buchmann Sparkwheel Corporation, and a manufacturer of industrial sanitary and maintenance chemical products. Sanborn Maps for subsequent years show no significant change in the use of OU-2. Remediation resulted in the excavation and off-site disposal of contaminated material, decommissioning and removal of historic subterranean refinery systems and removal of underground storage tanks. Engineering and Institutional Controls involving deed restrictions are in place. Redevelopment of OU2 included new residential high rise buildings with commercial space on the ground floor, roads, utilities, parks and landscaped areas. A vapor barriers and an active sub-slab depressurization system has been installed to minimize the potential for soil vapor to enter the newly constructed buildings.

Site Health Assessment

Public water is provided to the area, thereby preventing exposures to groundwater. Most of the contaminated material has been removed from the site. The buildings, pavement and two feet of cover material prevent future direct contact exposures. On-site buildings have sub-slab depressurization systems to prevent the infiltration of soil vapors.

Contaminants of Concern

Type of Waste Quantity
1,1,2-TRICHLORETHYLENE UNKNOWN
1,3-DICHLOROBENZENE UNKNOWN
ARSENIC UNKNOWN
BENZENE UNKNOWN
CADMIUM UNKNOWN
ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL UNKNOWN
LEAD UNKNOWN
MERCURY UNKNOWN
XYLENE (MIXED) UNKNOWN

admin, HabitatMap, jsuder, Newtown Creek Alliance

Power_plant

Contribute

Add1 Add a Marker
Create Create Your Own Map
Share Share This Map
Save Save This Map
Add2 Add to Your Site

Map Key ( 0 )

Marker Key ( 0 )

List of All Markers